Administrative Office No.: 0824-2425966
ABOUT THE COURSE:
B.Sc. Optometry is a branch of medicine which deals with visual systems. Optometry deals with vision which involves examining, diagnosing, managing and treating the diseases of eyes. It also deals with the working of eye equipment, to give corrective lenses and speciality clinics for Low vision, contact lens and binocular vision.
Admission to B.Sc. Optometry in any year will be based on the results of Srinivas University Entrance Test (SUET) held in that year.
DURATION OF THE COURSE:
Student shall undergo a period of Four years including three academic years and one year of compulsory Internship.
A candidate seeking admission to B.Sc. Optometryshall have completed the age of 17 as on 31st December of the year of admission and have studied English as one of the principle subject during the tenure of the course
- Two year Pre-University examination or equivalent as recognized by University with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as principle subjects of study.
- Pre-Degree course from a recognized University considered as equivalent by University, (two years after ten years of schooling) with Physics, Chemistry and Biologyas principle subjects of study.
- Any equivalent examination recognized by the University for the above purpose with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as principle subjects of study.
- The vocational higher secondary education course conducted by Vocational Higher Secondary Education, Government of Kerala with five subjects including Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English in addition to vocational subjects conducted is considered equivalent to Plus Two examinations of Government of Karnataka.
- Candidates with two years Diploma from a recognized Government Board in a subject for which the candidate desires to enrol, in respect to B.Sc.Optometry shall have passed plus 2 [10+2] with Physics, Chemistry and Biology, as principal subjects or candidates with 3 years diploma from a recognized Government Board in a subject for which the candidate desires to enrol.
- Lateral entry to second year allied health science courses for candidates who have passed Diploma programme from the Government Boards and recognized by University, fulfilling the conditions specified under Sl. No. 5 are eligible to take admission on lateral entry system only in the same subject studied at diploma level.
- The candidate shall have passed individually in each of the principle subjects.
- Candidates who have completed diploma or vocational course through Correspondence shall not be eligible for admission to the course.
|I & II Semester
||III & IV Semester
||V & VI Semester
|Biochemistry & Nutrition
||Low Vision Aids & Geriatric Optometry
|General Anatomy & Physiology
|Physical Principles (Sec A) Geometric optics (Sec B)
||Clinical Examination of visual system & optometric instruments
||Systemic diseases (Sec A) Ocular diseases (Sec B)
||Microbiology & Pathology (sec A)
Pharmacology (Sec B)
|Dispensing optometry (Sec A), Occupational optometry, (Sec B
||Clinical Practical examination
||Paediatric optometry, advances in optometry & binocular vision
||Clinics & specialties
||Communications & Public relations
||Law & optometry
||Public health, epidemiology & biostatistics
SCOPE OF COURSE:
- An Optometrist is the independent primary health care provider health care provider who specializes in eye care and visual health.
- Sc Optometry severs as a basis for further higher studies in this field such as M.Sc., Ph.D. and M.Phil.
- Independent Practice as an Optometrist, by starting own eye clinic, optical outlet, lens manufacturing unit.
- Assist ophthalmologists in eye clinics
- Practice in optical establishments. Take jobs with corporate & private hospitals, NGOs.
- Run optical shops and setups. Start an optical establishment for scientific dispensing of visual aids.Start own specialty clinic like contact lenses, Computer vision, Orthoptics.
- Avail overseas job opportunities, since it has an excellent job opportunities in abroad.
- Jobs in manufacturing and distribution sectors of ophthalmic lenses, contact lenses and ophthalmic instruments.
- Job opportunities with multinational eye care companies like Bausch & Lomb, Essilor, Zeiss, etc.
- Can pursueM.Sc. and PhD programs and take up teaching Optometry as a carrier and can take up the job of lecturer in several universities and colleges.
- Administrative Career after MBA in Ophthalmic Practice.
We offer highly qualified competent faculty members to develop a high degree of conceptual skills, analytical skills and high quality technical knowledge to the students. We have updated course curriculum that can develop competency in candidates who in turn can manage ophthalmic disorders. It’s a dynamic & challenging paramedical career which offers work flexibility, interaction with patients, community respect, financial stability & unlimited opportunity for growth and development. B.Sc. optometry is having a wide range of opportunities all over the world.
Entrance exam will be conducted every year in the last week ofJune or first week of July and the students will be selected based on the rank system.