Administrative Office No.: 0824-2425966
Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical engineering is the discipline that applies the principles of engineering, physics, and materials science for the design, analysis, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems.
Duration : 4 years, Eight semesters.
Eligibility: Pass in 10 + 2 / 12th Standard with 45% marks (40% in case of candidate belonging to SC/ST category).
Lateral Entry: Candidates who have successfully completed 3 year diploma in Engineering are eligible to apply for lateral entry into B.Tech. courses .Candidates will be admitted to second year of the programme only after appearing the Srinivas University selection process for engineering programmes.
B.Tech. in Mechanical engineering programme nurtures and develops students as young global Engineers. The programme lays emphasis on preparing students to become competent global business leaders and entrepreneurs by building their capabilities, knowledge, skills and attitude. B.Tech. in Mechanical engineering is a Four-year graduate programme. The goal of B.Tech. programme is to enable students to become technically competent entrepreneurs in the vast technological sector and to prepare students to become responsible and contributing members of the community.
Special Features of the Programme:
- Industry oriented syllabus with special focus on experimental learning.
- Mini project in each semester.
- Innovations in examination system with opportunity for personal seeing of evaluated papers.
- 50% weightage of marks on continuous evaluation and 50% weightage on semester end exam.
- Make-up exams in every semester for the students benefit.
- Opportunity to learn other works by TECHNOTRONICS LAB Design by MechDept,
- Placement support and research oriented projects for every student.
- Focus on smart skill development & training on competitive exams.
- Opportunity to visit various industries business organizations.
- Separate Hostel & Transport facility for boys & Girls.
- Further Opportunity to do M.Tech.,& Ph.D. Programmes.
- Earn while Learn Opportunity in/Software/hardware/production/Design//quality maintenance by company delegate’s
Mechanical Engineers find vast job opportunities in almost all the companies in all the fields starting from Automobile Industries, Aerospace Industries, Chemical Industries, FMCG companies, Manufacturing companies, Production companies, Service based companies, Software Companies, Education sector, Government departments like Ministry of Defence, Public Work Departments, Ministry of Transportation etc. Every industry needs the support of Mechanical Engineers for its working and success.
- Further Opportunity to pursue M.Tech.
- Opportunity to appear for GATE/Engineering Services and other competitive Exams.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering offers Undergraduate course in B.TECH. in Mechanical Engineering and Ph.D programme. The department has a team of highly qualified and dedicated faculty members along with highly experienced supporting staff, state-of-the-art laboratories, multimedia classrooms, digital online library facilities and a good infrastructure which provides a healthy and professional environment on par with the International standards. The department has established the following well equipped laboratories for the regular academic work, research activities and consultancy work:
- Computer Aided Engineering Drawing (CAED) Lab – The lab is well equipped with 70 computer systems having Mechanical component Modeling Software’s like Solid Edge –V19 2D and 3D.
- Workshop Practice Lab – Comprises of all bench fitting, sheet metal work and welding tools which include Bench vices, Leg vices, Bench Grinding machine, Hand grinder, High precision Surface plate, Vernier Height Gauge, Angle Plate, V-Blocks, Anvils, files, hacksaws, punches, trysquares, chisels, snips, mallets, soldering irons, Arc Welding Transformers, electrodes etc..
- Computer Aided Modeling and Design (CAMD) Lab – The lab is well equipped with 70 computer systems having Mechanical component Modeling Software’s like Solid Edge –V19 2D and 3D.
- Metallographic and Material Testing Lab – Well designed and well equipped with machinery & apparatus to conduct Mechanical property test on materials like Universal Testing Machine (1000KN capacity) with additional Shear and Bending test Attachments , Torsion testing Machine (1000kgcm capacity), Impact Testing, Vicker’s Hardness Tester, Rockwell cum Brinell Hardness Tester, Metallurgical Microscope, Disc Polishing Machine, Wear Testing Apparatus (Pin on Disc Apparatus), Muffle furnace for Heat Treatment, Ultrasonic flaw detector, Magnetic crack detector, Dye Penetrant Test kit, etc. The lab is not only well suited for regular academic works, but also for Research and Consultancy work.
- Foundry and Forging Lab – The lab is equipped with modern equipments like LPG Furnaces (upto 10000C capacity), Rapid Drier with Digital Temperature Control, Universal Sand/Soil Testing Machine, Permeability Tester, Core Hardness Tester, Mould Hardness Tester, Sieve Shaker with set of Sieves and Rapid Moisture Tester.
Mechanical Measurements and Metrology Lab – The lab is equipped with instruments for the Calibration of Thermocouples, Strain Gauges, Pressure Gauges, Load Cells, Linear Variable Differential Transformers, Mechanical Comparators and Surface Roughness testers with dial gauges, Universal Bevel Protractor, Precision Spirit Level, 83-pieces Slip Gauge set, Sine Bar, Sine Centre, Gear tooth micrometer, Gear tooth Vernier, Tool makers’ microscope, Profile Projector, Lathe Tool Dynamometer, Drill Tool Dynamometer, Surface Plate (12” Cast Iron), Surface Gauge, Screw pitch gauge – mm and BSW, Outside micrometer, Vernier Caliper, Optical flat, Autocollimator, Plug gauges, Ring gauges etc..
- Machine Shop – The laboratory is well equipped with machines like Belt-driven centre lathe, Gear Driven lathe, Horizontal Milling machine with vertical milling attachment, Shaping machine, Planing machine, Sensitive drilling machine, Bench Grinders, Hydraulic Surface Grinder, Mechanical Cylindrical Grinder and all the lathe attachments, accessories with cutting tools.
- Fluid Mechanics Lab – The lab is well equipped with setups for Fluid machinery Performance test analysis of Air compressor, Air blower, Centrifugal pump (both Single stage & multi stage), Reciprocating Pump, Francis Turbine, Kaplan Turbine and Pelton Wheel, to perform Friction analysis in pipe and pipe fittings, calibrations of Orifice meter, Venturimeter, Flow Nozzle, Impact of jet apparatus and Vertical Orifice meter.
- Energy Conversion Lab – Comprises of Performance Testing set-ups for multi-cylinder petrol engine, multi-cylinder diesel engine, Variable Compression Ratio-stroke petrol Engine, 4-stroke single cylinder petrol engine, 2-stroke single cylinder petrol engine, 4-stroke single cylinder diesel engine, Flash point Apparatus, Redwood Viscometer, Saybolt Viscometer, Bomb Calorimeter, Port timing apparatus, Valve timing Apparatus and Mechanical Planimeter.
Computer Aided Modeling and Analysis (CAMA) Lab – The lab is well equipped with 70 computer systems having Finite Element Analysis software ANSYS 11.0.
- Heat and Mass Transfer Lab – The lab is well equipped with Thermal Conductivity of Metal rod Apparatus, Heat Transfer Co-efficient of composite wall apparatus, pin fin apparatus, natural convection apparatus, forced convection apparatus, emissivity apparatus, Stefan-Boltzmann apparatus, Parallel flow and Counter flow heat exchanger, Air-conditioning test rig, Refrigeration Test rig, Drop and film wise condensation apparatus.
- CIM Lab – The lab is equipped with CADEM software for CNC Programming and a CNC Turning machine from MTab® and Pneumatic control kit.
- Design Lab – The lab is equipped with set-ups to test and study Static and Dynamic Balancing, characteristics of governors using Universal Governor Apparatus, Vibration analysis of shafts using Whirling of Shaft Apparatus, Torsional Vibration analysis equipment, Journal Bearing Apparatus, Strain Gauge Rosette gauges and a standard Gyroscope.
The department aims to shape the career of students to gain Technical expertise, high level of ethics, excellent soft skills along with imbibing cultural values. In this regard, the department conducts many technical seminars, technical talks and debates by inviting professionals and experts from the reputed industries and research centers and also conducts industrial visits to enrich the practical knowledge of Mechanical engineering students. The department has given, is giving and will give the best effort to do more achievements in academics and research activities.
Scope of Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering is one of the most traditional branches of engineering. Mechanical Engineering is the only branch in the field of Engineering to do a detailed study of parts in physical movement with subjects like Dynamics of Machines and Kinematics of Machines. It deals with almost every product that we use in our daily life starting from the manufacturing of a simple toothbrush till the most scientific profitable methods of manufacturing beds. Mechanical Engineers design the products, tools, machineries and machine tools, produce drawings, prepare specifications, bill of materials, work flow charts, work instructions, budget allocation required to manufacture, vendor development/sub-contract documents, manufacturing planning and schedule of work, quality control / quality assurance/inspection of the works, controlling and commissioning of the project. The requirement of Mechanical Engineering expertise is found in the following fields- Problem Surveying, Problem description, Conceptualizing, Brainstorming, Assembly Designing, Detailed Designing, Analysis, Prototyping, Planning, Manufacturing, Quality checking, Vendor development, Safety, Try-outs, Marketing, Product Delivery, Maintenance etc… It starts with the birth of a product from the conceptualization stage and goes on through the life of the product till the time the product becomes obsolete and gives birth to a new product.
Students’ Organization – AIMES
The Mechanical Engineering Students’ Chapter “AIMES” (Association of Integrated Mechanical Engineering Students) was started in the year 2011 with a view to organize technical activities like seminars, guest lectures, etc. in the department. Experts and professionals from the industry, research centers and the academia are regularly invited to share their experience and to impart knowledge to the students of Mechanical engineering. Every academic year, in the month of August, the department conducts election to the various positions of Office Bearers of AIMES to booster the leadership and team building abilities of students and also to organize various events under the leadership of the HoD and the Faculty Coordinator.